We all get toothaches now and then. Whenever you get one, the best course of action is to have it looked at by a dentist as soon as possible. Remember that the team at Vanguard OnCall Dental Urgent Care in Derry NH is here for you with expert emergency dental care.
Sometimes you can’t get here as soon as you would like to. When that happens there are things you can do at home to relieve the pain, or at least make it bearable. Just remember that no home remedy is a substitute for seeing the dentist.
We’ve prepared a list of things you can do. Pick and choose from this list: they are not a series of steps, and you don’t have to try them all.
There are two things that can help a bad toothache: reducing any inflammation, and cut off signals from the pain site to your brain.
- The first objective can be achieved with a cold compress. An ice pack, or even something like a bag of frozen vegetables, is ideal for this. Hold against the side of your jaw for twenty minute intervals. Remember to wrap it in a clean cloth so the cold source is not in direct contact, which could damage your skin.
- For the other goal, take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen. This is help to cut off the signals to your brain, and also be an anti-inflammatory. Read the label and follow the instructions to the letter.
In addition, you can:
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water.
- Try garlic. Crush it into a fine paste (use the flat of a knife blade) and apply it directly to the affected area.
- Try clove oil. This is an old home remedy that can reduce inflammation and pain, and even sterilize the inside of your mouth. Put a few drops on a cotton ball and apply directly to the tooth.
But remember, the important thing is professional treatment. At Vanguard OnCall Dental Urgent Care toothache relief is among our emergency dentistry specialties. People from Londonderry, Salem, and Chester rely on our care! In an emergency no appointment is needed. Walk-ins are always welcome!